Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Big Wave, Ogunquit


This is the time of the year is when we often get a good amount of storms.  I am delighted by them, place myself on the edge of the granite bluffs and get to work sketching and painting!  I'm in my element.  Would you believe long before I painted in plein air I would choose storms as the perfect time to go for a walk?  Once when my sister and I were walking in a blizzard on York Beach (in runs in the family) a car slowed down to stare at us in disbelief... we were covered head to toe in white flakes !  It was great to go  home to hot tea!    

And who helps me with my storm/surf watch?  Why its those guys in those dry suits....
who are out there just like I am....BIG WAVE WATCHERS...

MARGINAL WAY, 8X10 OIL ON PANEL 

2 comments:

  1. We would go down to the beach to watch the waves during the storms, too. But you have to be careful. Those big waves crashing over the sea wall are sometimes carrying very large rocks! Love the painting. I did one from the exact same spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ! I know you have to be careful. The marginal way is a favorite spot as I can park close by and not have to hike too far to get a good painting spot. People have been swept off these rocks by rouge waves. Most have been rescued but not all. I have great respect for the sea.

    ReplyDelete