Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Rules to Throw Away

I was having a conversation yesterday with another painter.  It was about break throughs...and the process freeing yourself from "rules" stuffed in your head. 

Water color Plein Air Sketchbook

If you've had a lot of art instruction you might know what I am talking about.  

Water color Plein Air Sketchbook

I had a painting instructor who gave the class an assignment for a studio painting developed from a plein air sketch.  I painted a barn with a flag blowing in the breeze. After seeing the painting he didn't allow any buildings as subject matter for future class assignments. 
What ???

  
Water color Plein Air Sketchbook

I noticed the paintings he painted were dozens of pictures of a fruit, vegetable or flower housed in cozy, old wooden boxes. 
What's a box? A cube. 
What's a building? A cube. 


Water color Plein Air Sketchbook

What do I remember from this painting class ?  

No comments:

Post a Comment