Thursday, June 30, 2011

Young Artist

I was out at Parsons Beach yesterday working on my marsh series...when I heard a voice near my elbow ask. "Do you always draw before you paint?" 


When I looked up there was a thoughtful boy wrapped in a big red towel.  He'd noticed me sketching...A good habit I've gotten into that helps me see the subject matter better and helps me make choices...
Willy draws all the time. He especially like whales and the ocean. 
He said he can draw but painting isn't so easy...now isn't that something the rest of us can relate to?  
I told him if he keeps at it by the time he's 17 he'll be really good!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! It was so nice to meet you and thank you so much for taking time to talk to my mom and me even though the tide was coming in. I am thinking about all the advice you gave me. I drew you some whales, I will send them to you - they are from my imagination, not a picture :-)
    Guess what? The next day, really really early in the morning at low tide, we found huge huge moose tracks all over Parson's Beach. Maybe if you are there again you will see him. I think he went swimming.
    From your ocean friend,
    Willy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Willy,
    Just got back to check out my blog... and found your note! Wow, a moose on the beach - what fun ! Smart moose to take a swim when the beach was empty. Everyone would have gotten real excited if he walked across their beach blanket! We had one in our back yard walking around at night. We found his tracks in the morning. They think they own this place...and they do!
    I'll look around the next time I am painting over there and see if I spot him or her.
    See you soon !
    Mary

    ReplyDelete